Oban View

We visited Oban during a recent trip to the Scottish Highlands. Oban, located on the mainland, at the northern end of The Firth of Lorn near the entrance to Loch Linnhe, is known as the “Gateway to the Isles”. It is also recognised as the “Seafood capital of Scotland”.

And while I love fresh seafood, for the chocoholics like me, I recommend a visit to the Oban Chocolate Company, who offer a range of delicious hand made chocolates manufactured in their factory in Oban.

More information at http://www.oban.org.uk/

Oban

1. Inspired and pretty

A superb photo Jim, really beautiful ! The colours are so poignant under the grey clouds, what a contrast !

June 25, 2012 at 10:08 pm

• Many thanks Jocelyne. Glad you liked it.

June 30, 2012 at 9:16 am

2. Beautiful shot Jim

June 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

• Many thanks Ian. I did spend some time on the composition.

June 24, 2012 at 9:20 pm

3. Beautiful beautiful shot! I love the boats in the foreground and those charming homes in the background. Their architectural style and the colors just fascinate me. The curves adds such interest to the image, too. I see a structure that resembles the “colosseum” high in the background. Do you know what that is?

June 17, 2012 at 7:31 pm

• Hi Judy, I really enjoyed your comments. The “colosseum” is know as McCaig’s Folly and was built in the late 1800s. It was built as a copy of the famous Colosseum in Rome and it does look very similar fron the outside. However that’s where the similarity ends. The inside is not a “gladiators arena” but is a public garden. John Stuart McCaig, who loved roman architecture, intended that it should be a monument to his family, but he died before it was completed. More details can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCaig's_Tower.

June 18, 2012 at 11:31 pm

• That’s very interesting, Jim. Thanks for your reply. I love that it’s a garden. I want to go visit it now! 😉

June 19, 2012 at 6:33 am