Roman Holiday – Inside The Vatican

Continuing on the theme “Roman Holiday”; we went into the Vatican during our visit to Rome. Here are a few images.

The first image is Michelangelo’s La Pieta, which is the only sculpture that he ever signed. It depicts the body of Christ in  Mary’s lap after the crucifixion.

The second image is the Main Dome inside the Vatican. Michelangelo designed the dome in 1547 and it was completed in 1590 by Giacomo della Porta and Fontana.

The third image, the Cathedra Petri or ” the Throne of St Peter” is surrounded by an enormous statue of bronze produced by Bernini.

More information can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Peter’s_Basilica

1. Inspired and pretty

I really hope I can see this someday. These great artists and masters were beyond talented and their achievements are incredible. You cannot not be in awe when you look at these sculptures and their overwhelming beauty. Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful photos !

August 29, 2012 at 10:35 pm

• Hi Jocelyne and thanks for your comments. I hope to put up a page of these and some additional images of Rome, on my site in the near future.

August 31, 2012 at 10:19 am

• Inspired and pretty

Oh, I’d love that !

August 31, 2012 at 2:22 pm

2. Absolutely stunning photos, Jim. It sends chills up one’s spine to see these great sites. Beautiful images. Love your title: Roman Holiday! 😉
    I will finally get to see these gorgeous, world-reknowned places this fall when my husband and I tour Italy. Rome is our last stop! Thanks for heightening the excitement for me!

August 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm

• Thanks Judy. It is a beautiful place. I’m sure you will love it. The Vatican and The Vatican Museums is a “must visit”, if you have the time. My latest post has a few more images inside the Vatican Museums.

August 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm

3. Ian Beattie

So many famous sites are familiar when you travel and look just like they do in photos you’ve seen. Standing in front of the Eiffel Tower I remember thinking how wonderful it was to be there but it looked just like it did in all the pictures. But the inside St Peter’s! That’s one of those amazing places that you just have to see for yourself. Nice shots Jim

August 7, 2012 at 12:02 am

• Hi Ian. Many thanks for your comments. I couldn’t agree more. You really must experience the Vatican for yourself. Hope to go back in the not too distant future.

August 7, 2012 at 9:56 pm