Roman Holiday – Roman Forum

The Roman Forum was the center of public life in Rome. Processions, criminal trials, public speeches all took place in this central area which is located betweem Palatine and Capitoline hills.

This is my final post in this series. However, I have now added a page under “Travel”, which contains all images from my previous “Roman Holiday” posts. It also includes additional images not previously published. I hope you have enjoyed.

Please click on this link http://wp.me/P1WKsc-jl

Roman Forum

1. wow…the size of this is amazing! I want to take your Roman Holiday in a little package with me in October to make sure I don’t miss a thing! I’ve really enjoyed your series, Jim. Like all the rest…this is a fantastic image!

September 11, 2012 at 5:18 am

• Thanks Judy. I really enjoyed that trip to Rome but very difficult if not almost impossible to get images without lots of other tourists. Still planning to go back but not sure when.

September 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm

• I noticed that! I wondered if you had a bull horn and cleared them out! 😉 In the museum…the room with the sculptures…you have no light glare from the windows. I know I’d have that. How did you do that?

September 12, 2012 at 5:40 am

• We visited the Vatican Museums mid to late afternoon and it was much quieter, so I managed to get a good few images without other tourists. I think the last entry was around 3.30 -4 pm and we went in about 3pm. But we had to be out by 5pm so we only had 2 hours inside.
        I underexposed the image with the chariot in the “sculpture room”; probably about 1.5 stops. This had the effect of reducing the overexposure glare from the windows. I processed the image in Adobe Lightroom 3 and used the “fill” slider. This allows you to lighten the underexposed parts of the image without significantly affecting the bright parts.
        If I was to shoot this again today, I would probably take 3 shots. 1 shot at the metered exposure, then one at 2 stops underexposed and the 3rd shot at 2 stops over exposed. I would then combine/blend/tonemap the 3 images in Photomatix HDR software and complete the post processing in Photoshop. Digital cameras have only 5 -6 stop sensor range, but when you view the scene with your eyes you can see more than double this range. By exposing at +2 0 -2 stops you effectively capture a wider tonal range. You do need to be carefull not to overprocess or tonemap in HDR processing or the image can appear “unnatural”

September 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm

2. tall and beautiful 🙂

September 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm

• Thanks for your comment Joshi. Glad you liked it.

September 11, 2012 at 9:31 pm

3. You definitely made the best of very challenging lighting!

September 8, 2012 at 12:28 am

• Thanks Frank; your comment is much appreciated.

September 8, 2012 at 7:35 pm